The attic was reclaimed as living space. Stairs installed by another carpenter to it.
The owners did quite a beautiful job in the main floor washroom behind the kitchen in Venetian plaster. The floor was done in stone tiles.
A blog dedicated towards architectural refinement of buildings and environments in which we live, work, and play. Chiefly this is brought about by the author with finish carpentry at heart, and many other disciplines radiating or spinning off from it.
As yet I have no pictures of this project with the final rail and stiles applied. There was another deck on the other side of the house, the front. (It used to be a stable and hay barn for horses.)
As with some of these remodels I advised the couple that the concrete landing needed to extended to meet code. Some contractors would stipulate this be part of the work before starting. I let it go on assurance that they knew about this, and that they would do it themselves "some day", and took over the responsibility.
I sold the plaster recreation and restoration of a large ornate cornice that was missing over a pilaster in the courtroom of the Historic Federal Building, in Pueblo, Colorado in 2006. This I did from a previous illustration drawn from exact measurements of a wooden substrate that a previous carpenter had installed. The owner was prepared to apply some prefabricated appliques with no real knowledge that this substrate was off dimensionally by as much as 1/2".The drawing below was generated to present to the client for spacing of panel moldings assembled in tall rectangular frames, After a bit of consultation it was decided that the recurring motif of triples in the windows would be the way to go, also reinforcing the vertical lines of the space. Whilst painting the split oval arch upon scaffolds I took the opportunity to take a survey of the bands and ogee dimensions and added them onto the layout for aesthetic appeal and documentary interest.
layoutThe panel mold frames as installed. (For more information on this project visit my other blog:
Above is an idea for a shower stall floor that I came up with under the influence of ancient Roman floor mosaics. I imagine that aside from molding and casting these to manage repeatable accuracy one easy way of cutting them could be done with a trammel jig fastened to a water-cooled diamond saw.
The above is a layout drawing for the exterior stair I remodelled, photographs of which are documented on another entry.Above, a top view plan for framing of porch decking at my own home. This does not show where the new walls will be (since part of the house is inside the normal setback from the property line).